Tina Lewis Rowe

Insights, Information & Inspiration

“Normal Day” Was Written By Mary Jean Irion

“Normal day, let me be aware
of the treasure you are.”
Mary Jean Irion wrote that!

You are about to discover that I’m on a mission! There is a well-known quotation–usually incorrectly identified as a poem–that has meant a great deal to me. It has meant even more as sad, painful, frustrating and frightening things have happened in my life.

You may have seen the quotation too. It begins….”Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are.”  It’s the second of two paragraphs at the conclusion of a two page essay. It reminds us that at some point in our lives we may yearn for a mundane, typical, normal day–with its usual frustrations and irritations–to take the place of the painful, tragic or anquishing day we are experiencing.

Here is where my mission comes in: Almost always those lines are attributed to Mary Jean Iron. Hundreds and hundreds of sites have that attribution. I was interested in Ms. Iron, because I wanted to read the excerpt in context. That is when I discovered that there is no Ms. Iron. There is Mary Jean Irion (Ear-e-yon), who, as near as I have been able to research, wrote it in the late 1960s. After it was published in McCalls magazine she included it in a book of essays published in 1970: Yes, World. A Mosaic of Meditation.

Ms. Irion lives in Pennsylvania, wrote for The United Church Herald and was a teacher of English Literature at the Lancaster Country Day School–I think she’s still writing!

She may not care that her name is misspelled on sites that use this quote–in fact I’m sure she doesn’t, given her expressed philosophies. But, I’m on a mission to get her correctly attributed. So far I have contacted 116 sites and asked them to correct it. Most have. I’ll recontact the others and keep going. There have been some interesting results to my contacts and maybe I’ll share those sometime.

Read Mary Jean Irion’s wonderful prose, straight from the book. It’s the conclusion of thoughts about her day, which had both good and bad elements–a normal day.

If you see it incorrectly attributed, let the website know that the correct author is Mary Jean Irion, in the essay, “Let Me Hold You While I May”, in the book, “Yes, World. A Mosaic of Meditation”, published in 1970 by Richard Baron Publishing. And it’s on page 53.

April 23rd, 2012 Posted by | Life and Work | 12 comments

12 Comments »

1. Tina, you are a continual source of amazement to me. Who but you would get on a mission like this? OK, I’ll help.

Comment by smartaleck | April 23, 2012

2. I LOVE that quote! I always thought it was a poem and I have always heard that Mary Jean Iron said it. Thank you for setting the record straight. Good work!!

Comment by P.A.H. | April 23, 2012

3. I just now checked and I see what you mean. Almost every site says it’s Mary Jean Iron. I’m surprised Mary Jean Irion hasn’t done something about it before now. I think I saw that quote on a calendar and it was wrong there too. How bizarre! When I can I’ll let sites know about the mistake. You do good work!

Comment by E.L.O. | April 23, 2012

4. Leave it to you to be on a mission. But, this seems to be a worthy one. Dee says she loves the quote and has used it in her classes, but always credited it to Mary Jean Iron, so she’s changing all of those. Isn’t that strange, how such a mistake can start and continue and nobody notices? I’m glad you were on the job! Blessings to you, Tina.

Comment by Don R. | April 24, 2012

5. Don’t hate me, but I think she weakened the first two paragraphs with with the last part. She should have stopped sooner. I like the first part though and have never read the lead-in to it. Thanks!

Comment by Critic | April 24, 2012

6. Hello! I found your site while looking for information about challenging employees, but stayed around to read and have been reading for an hour! I have this quote at my desk and it’s credited to Mary JANE Iron, so even that part of the name wasn’t right. Thank you for giving this information.

Comment by Jan C. | May 7, 2012

7. hello Tina
    I have just finished reading @Hope and Glory, by Stuart Maconie.
    He concludes his book with this quote, which I hadn’t come across, and loved it, but indeed he credits it to a Mary Jean Iron – please add him to your list of authors to put right!

Comment by Janet Thornton | December 12, 2013

8. I have just re-discovered this quote. Working in the dark I hoped that I could find this beautiful expression of the essence of a normal day. It was once kept on my refrigerator and had since been lost. The name of the author was not even known to me, but I will not forget again. I love writing, and poetry is one of my creative outlets. By the way, I have always been called Tina even though I am “darling Clementine”.

Comment by Clementine M | February 28, 2014

9. Thank you so much for doing this for my grandmother! I was raised by them and have always been proud of the Irion namesake. For me it’s been misspelled over and over throughout my life…even while I flew search and rescue in helicopters in the Navy (when right there on my flight suit was “IRION” plain as day). Seems I could never get away from being called “Iron” or “Irons”…though I could never equate where the “s” at the end had come from? Haha

Thank you once again!!

Comment by Michael Sean Irion | October 6, 2014

10. I saw that you are attempting to correct her name where the quote is published. In the FranklinCovey Day Planner (Monticello -Classic) they use the quote for their April 23rd page and her name is spelled “Mary Jean Iron”. It is a printed document so may be hard to change but thought I would let you know in case you are that ambitious. 🙂 They have a site Franklinplanner.com

Comment by Anthony | April 10, 2015

11. I’m so happy to find this again! I saw this in McCall’s magazine sometime in the 1960’s. I loved it so much that I cut it out and carried it around in my walletfor years. At some point I lost it; I would never have thrown it out. It just spoke to my heart. It’s just beautiful

Comment by Faye Black | March 14, 2017

12. Hi Tina,
    I live in Perth WA and have written this quote in my work diary each year since I first read it, oh, several years ago now, to remind me how precious each day is. But the good news is that Mary Jean Irion was referenced properly wherever I read it! ( can’t remember where unfortunately) perhaps that was thanks to you? Good on you for doing this. A quote as good as “Normal day…..” Deserves to be referenced accurately. Kind regards, Mary

Comment by Maryobrien | June 19, 2017